The information and communications technologies (ICT) is the key to improve the efficiency and reliability of Smart Energy Systems (SES). The integration of ICTs and energy infrastructures for increasingly decentralized development, monitoring and management need to evolve and to realize the full potential of SES. The basic goal of the course is to provide students the knowledge for mastering the new approaches, organization and design principles of ICT systems, their operation under the conditions of power industry objects digitalization. The course mainly provides students with the knowledge and skills of ICTs for SES.
INTENDED LEARNING OUTCOMES
- to explain the role and requirements of ICTs in the SES;
- to understand and describe the elements and architecture of ICTs for SES;
- to catalogue and quantify the ICT standards, such as IEC 61850 and CIM, applied for SES;
- to analyze and evaluate the wireline and wireless technologies for WAN, FAN in SES;
- to master and utilize the ICTs for SES applications;
- to be able to understand about designing and implementing progress of ICT systems for FAN and substations in SES by using simulation tools;
- to be able to demonstrate high personal drive, result oriented and service minded work style, as well as the abilities of time and workload management, to act responsibly and account the interests of the larger community in mind; to work in a fast-paced and highly dynamic environment;
- to be able to express ideas clearly and effectively in written and oral forms to the team members from different professional domains and of different
Part I. Introduction
- Introduction about ICT and SES,
- The role of ICT in the SES,
- Requirements of ICT in the SES: security, system reliability, scalability, quality-of-service (QoS).
Part II: Elements and Architecture of ICT for SES
- Links and Nodes,
- Protocols and protocol layers: OSI reference model; TCP/IP model.
- Architecture framework,
- WAN (Wide Area Network) architecture,
- FAN (Field Area Network) architecture.
Part III: Communication Technologies and Standards for SES
- Communication technologies available for SES: wired communications (DSLs, Powerline) and wireless communications (LPWAN (Lora and Sigfox), ZigBee, WIFI, Cellular Networks …),
- WAN technologies: optical fiber, SONET/SDH, Ethernet,
- Wireline and wireless technologies for FAN: point-to-point, frame relay, broadband access services…
- ICT Standards: IEC 61850 and CIM.
Part IV: ICT for SES Applications
- Conventional applications: SCADA (including interfaces and protocols: CIM/IEC 61970, IEC 60870- 5-103,101,104, Profibus, Modbus, DNP 3.0, RS485, RS232 and etc.), EMS, RTU.
- Smart applications: Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI); Distribution Automation (DA with IEC 61850); Distributed Generation (DG), openADR.
Lab based on software simulation
Part V: ICT Design Progress for SES
- Overview of ICT design progress for SES,
- The Smart Grid Architecture Model (SGAM) Framework,
- Network traffic and routing, performance, reliability, scalability, QoS,
- Cyber security,
- Data management in the SES
Lab based on software simulation
LIST OF REQUIRED LABORATORY EQUIPMENT
1. Matlab+ OMET++ including Substation Data Processing Unit (DPU) for each node in the CIM model to represent all functions available at substation level. All equipment at the node is identified by the CIM model and for each piece of equipment a data object based on IEC 61850.